Monday, June 27, 2011

The Alarm 45 RPM

I didn't see this version on youtube of Mike Peters and The Alarm performing their song "45 RPM" on the Craig Kilborn show back in 1984, so I uploaded it.



There is an interesting story surrounding this song as it was not released as a song by The Alarm, but rather by a group called "The Poppy Fields". Mike Peters wanted the music critics to review the song on its merits and not have them be prejudiced by reviewing another "Alarm" song by the aging group. Sounding like a teenage punk band with a video showing another band lip syncing to the song the tune made the top 30 on the British charts and the news of the "stunt" even made it on the national news over in states with Dan Rather reporting on the stunt. The 45 RPM swindle is even now being made into a movie.

Here is the promo video of the song which merges the "imposters" with the "real deal".



45 RPM

a spiral scratch
gave me my life back
a vinyl solution
ended my confusion
I heard a voice in the noise pollution
45 rpm
keep on running to the end
45 rpm


the two sevens clashed
kick started my life soundtrack
a sonic revolution
broke the disillusion
i heard a voice in the noise pollution
45 rpm
keep on running to the end
45 rpm

A simple and energetic song about the transforming power of a simple record.

No comments: