Thursday, November 27, 2008

Bob Dylan by Bono

Rolling Stone magazine recently listed their version of the top 100 singers of all time. Bob Dylan was voted number 7. Bono wrote an interesting piece about Dylan. He writes,


"Bob Dylan did what very, very few singers ever do. He changed popular singing. And we have been living in a world shaped by Dylan's singing ever since. Almost no one sings like Elvis Presley anymore. Hundreds try to sing like Dylan. When
Sam Cooke played Dylan for the young Bobby Womack, Womack said he didn't understand it. Cooke explained that from now on, it's not going to be about how pretty the voice is. It's going to be about believing that the voice is telling the truth." ...

"Here are some of the adjectives I have found myself using to describe that voice: howling, seducing, raging, indignant, jeering, imploring, begging, hectoring, confessing, keening, wailing, soothing, conversational, crooning. It is a voice like smoke, from cigar to incense, where it's full of wonder and worship. There is a voice for every Dylan you can meet, and the reason I'm never bored of Bob Dylan is because there are so many of them, all centered on the idea of pilgrimage. People forget that Bob Dylan had to warm up for Dr. King before he made his great "I have a dream" speech — the preacher preceded by the pilgrim." ...

"Dylan did with singing what Brando did with acting. He busted through the artifice to get to the art. Both of them tore down the prissy rules laid down by the schoolmarms of their craft, broke through the fourth wall, got in the audience's face and said, "I dare you to think I'm kidding."


Here is Bob Dylan singing the truth in, "What can I do for you?" at a concert in the 1980's from the album "Saved".



Here are some comments from Youtube about this performance.

snookums520 wrote, "I am completely against religion, but as a huge Dylan fan I watched this clip. I gotta say, it's one of his best performances. I sat, eyes glued to the screen, he had such conviction and truth in his lyrics at this point and although I overlooked his religious albums, I think a lot of the songs in there have some of his best lyrics!"

Zurishaddai8 Wrote, "... I would find it very hard to believe this was merely a performance rather than an expression of Bob Dylan's heart. If you watch the video carefully it looks to me like tears and sweat on his face. "What Can I Do For You" is a beautiful song and expresses a heart of deepest gratitude for Christ and salvation."

betsareoff wrote, "Beautiful. The audience isn't even there. It's just Bob and Jesus. It's all bare bones and raw gratitude. Amazing to see."

Psedad wrote, "Awesome--Listen to the transcendence in his performance and ask yourself " of what --comes such soul". Truly not of earthly experience or melancholy but rather by the hand of which is --God."

What can I do for you?

You have given everything to me
What can I do for you ?
You have given me eyes to see

What can I do for You ?

Pulled me out of a bondage and You made me renewed inside
Filled up a hunger that had always been denied
Opened up a door no man can shut and You opened it up so wide
And You've chosen me to be among the few
What can I do for You ?

You have laid down Your life for me
What can I do for You ?
You have explained every mystery
What can I do for You ?

Soon a man is born, you know the sparks begin to fly
He gets wise in his own eyes and
he's made to believe a lie
Who could deliver him from the death he's bound to die ?
Well, You've done it all and there's no
more anyone can pretend to do
What can I do for You ?

You have given all there is to give
What can I give for You ?
You have given me life to live
How can I live for You ?

I know all about poison, I
know all about fiery darts
I don't care how rough the road is,
show me where it starts
Whatever pleases You, tell it to my heart
Well, I don't deserve it but I sure did make it through
What can I do for You ?"

No comments: