Saturday, April 4, 2009

Three Views on "War Child" Emmanuel Jal

I have enjoyed learning about the life of lost boy, child soldier, hip-hop singer, author, activist, and documentary subject Emmanual Jal over the past few months. I started with learning about his music.

His music on "War Child" has been a steady companion while I am driving my car or out on a run in my iPod. I just haven't gotten tired of many of the songs.

In January I ordered the "War Child" DVD. I believe it is a must-see DVD if you want to understand the man and mission of Emmanuel Jal. It certainly makes Emmanuel Jal's life story accessable and helped me understand much about the situation in Sudan and Africa.

Last week I finally got Emmananuel Jal's biography "War Child" from Amazon. After it arrived I started reading but was disappointed when I reached page 56 and found that there was a misprinting and the book was missing over 30 pages. Amazon refunded my money and I noticed it was also taken off the site. There must have been a whole bunch of misprints. I had to run out to Borders and pick up a copy to continue reading. This book was much more eye-opening than the DVD or music. Emmanuel Jal and the people of Sudan lived through some horrifying circumstances and this book isn't for the faint of heart. Reading about Emmanuel Jal's childhood was indeed sobering. It makes the triumph of his life and music all the more sweet. I noticed that Amazon has the book back on the site, so the misprints have been dealt with.



Emmanuel Jal talks about writing his memoir "War Child" here:




Emmanuel Jal raps out "Forced to Sin" and tells his story at a Barnes and Noble in New York City.



Whether you listen to the music, watch the DVD, or read the book, "War Child" you will be mesmerized with the life story and message of Emmanuel Jal.

And here he perform "Emma".




I also started using Amazon.com to download my mp3's rather that Itunes. The first selection I made was "Gua" Emmanuel Jal's first cd. It is not as well produced as "War Child", I think Roachie (War Child's producer) adds so much to that album. but it is an album of worship music, sometimes sounding like a cross between early CCM music and hip hop music. Some of the songs are very infectious and catchy.




"Gua" was Emmanuel Jal's first cd and it is mainly about finding peace with God in his life, "Ceasefire" is a cd that he made with Abdel Gadir Salim, a muslim from Northern Sudan. They are from opposite sides of the politcal and religious worlds. In fact they were enemies on the battlefield. Of course "Ceasefire" is music of peace. I have yet to buy and download the music, but I will someday soon.




Emmanual Jal talks about his experiences as documented in his "War Child" memoir in a radio interview.



You can read some of my previous posts on Emmanuel Jal here.

No comments: